I’m proud of myself this week for a couple of reasons: On Tuesday, I had a committee meeting with most of my committee (not all because that would just be too lucky) and all of the workers at my technology center. I had two pages of questions all typed out in Spanish and three surveys I completed to start taking around to the community. The first survey is for the workers of my center, so I can figure out who has experience with computers, who wants to teach informatica classes in the fall or who is willing to be trained to possibly teach in the future. Another survey is for the youth of the community (los jovenes), with questions like what do they do in their spare time, if they would be interested in joining a community youth group, if they want to take English classes etc. The final survey is for general members of the community and asks questions from- if they have electricity in their homes, if they have a latrine or a bathroom to, if they own a computer, if they would take computer classes and English at the center and if they would be willing to pay for those classes.
The meeting went well. I took my time and slowly in my broken Spanish asked all my questions and got answers, even after I made my team repeat themselves over and over until I could understand exactly what they were trying to tell me. And then I showed them the surveys and had them correct my grammar and asked them their thoughts on the questions, if any needed to be deleted or if they wanted to add any of their own.
And then… And then the next day, because it didn’t rain, Gracias A Dios, we went out and actually conducting these surveys, which turned out more to be sit-down interviews. To me, in my American view, a survey is anonymous and you give people the paper, they read it and take their time and fill it out. Well, that’s not how it’s done here. We divided into two teams and went house to house and literally read each question aloud to each person we interviewed.
At times it was horribly awkward and uncomfortable, because here I am just meeting these people for the first time, trying to explain to them that I’m not just some gringa here to judge them. That I too am going to be apart of this community for the next two years, so please tell me slightly personal information about yourself and your life, like what kind of bathroom you have in your house.
It was also great for me, because 1)I am meeting members of this community 2)the people of La Caya are starting to see me more around town and associate me with the people I work with 3)everyone knows (or is discovering) that I am learning Spanish and so thus, every time I open my mouth and do not speak English, it helps.
The first day, we completed about 25-30 surveys between youth and members of the community. Yesterday we went at it again and completed another 20 more. Today, our journey continues and hopefully we can get at least another 25-30 done before the weekend.
What I am most excited about is my team. I told them, in our meeting, that this was one of the most important tasks I needed to complete during the summer and they got on it. It’s only week two and we are already interviewing families and youth about what they want to see happen in the center. Now, granted, it’s not the most scientific or accurate proceedings, but it’s getting done.
Everything we were taught as Peace Corps trainees, is motivation is such an important factor here in the DR. Keeping your committee and co-workers excited about your tasks and what you’re doing is half the battle. So once again, to be working with people who so far appear to be motivated and ready to work makes me very grateful.
In other news: Last Sunday I went running on a back road that takes you to the back of La Caya and winds you down to the main road. Anyway, I start to get into more houses, so I start walking a nice old man, who has to be at least 70 calls me over to his house and asks me where I’m from and all that stuff. I tell him my story, I am a Peace Corps volunteer, I will be living here for two years, working at the centro etc. He then asks me if I’m married. I tell him no and he proceeds to propose to me. No joke. He takes me into his house (which is still under construction) and tells me that I would be very happy living with him here and once the house is finished; he will buy a new bed and build a nice kitchen. And he just finished the bathroom, which was really nice actually, with a shower and toilet. He goes on and tells me he also has a house in Santo Domingo and I could stay there whenever I wanted and I would be very happy there too.
Now, this is not me not understanding Spanish. Because I asked him if he was really asking me to marry him and he said “Si.” So I politely tried to tell him no thanks that I had a boyfriend back at home and was very happy with him. But you know, if I every change my mind, I’ll come find you.
Like I said before, everyday is an adventure here in the DR. Everyday. Everyday is also a rollercoaster as I adjust to the culture, the weather (holy crap is it hot here), the bugs (don’t even get me started), the way of life, the food (I actually really like plantains, which is good because they are in every meal), being away from home (I am definitely without a doubt homesick), away from friends and family and Remi (I love you all so much) and you know all that jazz.
But hey, if old men keep proposing to me and my committee stays motivated, I really can’t ask for more. Because then I will always be entertained and together, with my committee we will be working to making La Caya a better place to live and work and just be. In the meantime, wish me luck with my Spanish and appreciate the fact you don’t have to marry a 70-year-old man to have a better life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment