Health is a relative term as of late. Since about August, I have felt like I have a demon of sorts growing in my stomach. Acting out when I eat something it disapproves of, or when it's bored and wants to entertain itself by putting me through agony for a couple of hours. It's nothing personal, it just wants me to remember who's really in charge of our relationship.
This past weekend, I somehow also managed to get "la gripe," or as we would call it the flu, a cold, that thing that happens once or twice a year when you can't move, don't have any energy and just want to sleep and not wake up until you're magically healthy once more. Yeah, that. I've canceled my classes for the last two days, which makes me feel guilty, but at the same time- spreading what I have now would be worse.
It's nothing to worry too seriously about. It's what happens when you live in a developing nation and the food you eat, the things you drink, your daily interactions aren't exactly the most sanitary. For example, I watched my Dona kill a chicken today and then pluck all the feathers out over the sink, all the while having chicken blood drip everywhere. Don't worry, she's a fan of bleach, and thus I am fan of her.
But still it just makes for a long day, a long couple of days when I think about this possibly being my life for the next two years. I'm trying to be positive. Sickness is just as much mental as it is physical, and if I can just start thinking healthy, then I will be healthy. That's how I did it in the states, why should the DR be any different?
I mentioned something to those sorts to my Mom and she said that everything seems worse when you're sick. She's right. Right now, I feel like I'm not supposed to be 100 percent healthy here, like in some way, whether it's a stomach demon, la gripe or something else... there's always going to be some health issue to deal with. Oh dear God, please let that be the dramatics of being sick.
Being sick, however, has once more reminded me of how lucky I am. After Francia killed and skinned that chicken, she made chicken soup out of it for me. She's been giving me tea and juices none stop and making sure I drink "todos," or all of it so I have enough fluids in me.
My people at my center had no problem canceling my classes and said if I needed the whole week off to get better, to take it.
My Mom has already called me twice today and will call me again. I have received emails and calls from friends back home. Remi bought a two-hour phone card just so we could talk about nothing in hopes it would make me feel better.
Yes, health is a relative term as of late, but love isn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment