Sunday, November 8, 2009

An Exorcism

There is a teenage boy in La Caya who is possessed by a spirit. The spirit possessing the boy is someone who lived and died here in La Caya years ago. When the spirit entered the boy, he told him to walk down the cemetery and go to his grave so everyone would know who the spirit was. The spirit entered the boy about two months ago and has been revealing himself through the boy with more vigor lately.

I have witnessed two separate occasions when the spirit has showed himself through the boy. Both times, the boy was being harassed by his peers. The first time, a bunch of kids were playing basketball at the new court by my center. The boy wasn't playing or wasn't playing well or something, and soon starting going into convulsions. Everyone started screaming and running away from the court. All of us at the center went outside to see the commotion, and there he was- lying on the dirt, convulsing. His arms, legs and neck being raised like a puppet on a string and then let go of carelessly and without consideration.

This lasted about 5 minutes. Then he came to his senses, walked over the center cooly where a few of the kids had stuck around to see the action, and immediately tried to punch another kid in the face.

The second "spirit showing," as I'll call them, was on Tuesday evening. I was at my center waiting for my English class to start, when someone yelled that the boy was at the corner having another episode,if you will. We went to see what was happening, and as we took the short walk to the corner, there was the boy being restrained by 6 or 7 adult men, snarling, drooling, rolling his eyes to the back of his and snapping his body violently in attempts to be set free.

I walked slowly over, standing about 30 feet away from all the commotion. He noticed me out of the corner of his eye. He looked at me, managed to get his left arm free, stuck his tongue out at me and then flipped me off. Pretty clever of the spirit I thought.

At this point, his mom, brother and sister (I think) came over, put their hands together like they were a basketball team in a huddle before starting the first quarter, and started chanting prayers. Eventually this calmed him down and he went limp in the arms of the men restraining him.

Another man watching the commotion called me over and said somebody needed to go to the doctor and get the boy a pill to calm him down, because his Mom wasn't going to do anything about it.

Yesterday after church (services are on Saturday's in my town), was the apparent exorcism. They brought a priest in from somewhere, and after the service, they closed all the windows and who knows what went on. I wasn't there, I just live next to the church, so I could hear the boy's snarling and the strain of the people against the pews as they tried to keep the boy restrained.

I have no idea what happened, or if the exorcism was successful. But I'll let you know if I get flipped off again sometime next week.

Either way, whether this kid really is/was possessed by a spirit or a pill really would help him, it is clear that he needs attention. From his mom, his siblings, the town, whoever. I just hope he finds whatever it is he needs, because this poor kid... I don't even know what to say to be honest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you think these are temper tantrums or possibly seizures?? the flipping you off sounds like temper tantrums...