Monday, December 14, 2009

Wallet-less and Full.

After a week of language training in the capital, I am back in La Caya, waiting for four days to pass so I can fly to America.

Oh America, the beautiful. Which, were I live in Reno Nevada, is currently covered in snow. People keeping asking me what I want to do while I'm home. The truth is, I don't care, as long as we're eating. We can do whatever everyone wants, as long at some point we will eat something and share the wonder in good food, in variety of food, in the plenty of food.

A frustration: Last night, I got home from the capital at about 7 p.m. I took a bucket bath (with notably colder water- it's "winter" here too now, I guess) and ate dinner. After these tasks, I took out my wallet and counted my money to see if I needed to get some cash out before I left for the states. I had about $1200 pesos (or about $40 US), so no worries.

I woke up this morning, went on my usual run with Francia's dogs. After my run, I went up to my room to get my wallet so I could buy breakfast (eggs and stale bread) from the colmado (store) close to my house. I started to search for my wallet, and ended up searching for the next two hours. The wallet that was in my room last night was not in my room this morning.

After about 2 hours of literally tearing my room apart, with some help from Francia as well, I still am wallet-less. I have no idea if I put it in a great hiding place or if someone seriously came into my room and took it while I was on my run. Both are possible.

After screaming (no joke) I decided to go up to my family's house for lunch. I told them about what happened and of course they were greatly concerned about my lost wallet, but Silvia, the Mom of the house- my other Dona, was much more concerned with my stomach...

Me: When I was done running, I went to my room to get my wallet so I could buy breakfast, but it wasn't there. I looked for two hours and still couldn't find it.

Silvia: Wait, did you ever eat breakfast this morning?

Me: Well no, because I never found my wallet to buy food.

Silvia: Mi amor! And you didn't come up here to my house to eat?! (as she hits me hard on the shoulder)

Me: Well, I couldn't because, like I said, I spent the whole morning looking for my wallet.

Silvia: Ei yi yi, I have already told you, when you are hungry, you need to come to my house and eat here.

Me: I know Dona, I know. But really, I spent the whole morning looking for it, so I wouldn't have eaten anyway.

Silvia: (Shakes her head slowly while making a "tsk tsk" sound). This child needs to eat now. Gracias A Dios (Thanks to God) it is time for lunch.

And then she proceeded to give me the biggest bowl in the house so I could have the biggest share of the soup she had made for lunch. She even took it away when I was about halfway done and refilled it for me. She was right, I was hungry. I ate all of with it no problem.

I'm going to give my entire house one last search tonight to see if my wallet will magically appear. Put some good detective thoughts in the Universe for me. And if it is never found, I hope the money is in the hands of someone who needs it. Maybe my Peace Corps ID will get someone a voyage to the states. Because even though I am angry and annoyed that I lost my wallet with all that money, my bankcard and Peace Corps ID, especially four days before I go home- I'm definitely not hungry. And for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

Miss K$ said...

Love this post. Safe travels.

Bri said...

I am anxiously awaiting another blog! You're an amazing person and I am so proud of what you are doing. I can't wait until your next experience to share with us.